Salam dear friends,
Today, I want to talk about one of my favorite writers.
I’m sure that many of you are familiar with his works. I really like his novels. This man knows how to choose a character, and write a good story. I think a lot of you already know Oliver Twist and David Copperfield 😉
So here are the 10 things I think you need to know about Charles Dickens 🙂
- He started work aged 12 after his father was imprisoned for debt in the Marshalsea Prison.
- Dickens started to write as a journalist.
- The Oxford English Dictionary credits Dickens with introducing 247 new words or new usages into the language.
- Charles Dickens has appeared on the British £10 note.
- His first big success was The Pickwick Papers. This was in 1837, the year Victoria became Britain’s Queen.
- People started saying ‘Merry Christmas’ more after A Christmas Carol was published. They also started sending Christmas cards by post.
- Between 1837 and 1852, Dickens’ wife Catherine gave birth to 10 children.
- He almost became an actor not a writer… Thank God 😉
- Dickens had a near-photographic memory of people and events in his childhood, which he used in his writing.
- Dickens slept facing north, believing it would improve his writing.
That’s it for today.. Talk to you soon Insha’ALLAH 🙂